Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog licks his paws all day long. They are red and

Customer Question

My dog licks his paws all day long. They are red and nasty looking. I don't think they are damaged. I think he is allergic to something he walks on outside. I want to know if there is anything over the counter I can give him to relieve the irritation or itch. My vet told me to give him 2 Benedryl every 6 hrs. But, I don't think that works and it makes him sleepy. I was putting Burt' Bees for dogs on his paws (have been for many months) but she told me that it is TOXIC. Scared me. Can you help...it's almost time for his first walk of the morning.
Thanks, *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- What are you feeding him? 4- How many milligrams of benadryl are you giving?