Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Over the past year, my dog's mobility has gone downhill. He is a 14 year old greyhou

Customer Question
Over the past year, my...
Over the past year, my dog's mobility has gone downhill. He is a 14 year old greyhound/dalmatian mix. Early this year, we did an MRI which identified disc problems as well as possible spinal degeneration. I was told that due to age and muscle/tissue issues, nothing could be done. My regular vet recommended we see a vet who specializes in pain management.
The pain specialist immediately switched Murphy from Rimadyl and tramadol (which he had been on for 1+ years) to prednolosone and gabapentine. While Murphy's pain does seem to be lessened, his mobility has drastically worsened since the switch in April. In addition, Murphy now experiences fecal and urinary inconvenience, which was never an issue before. The pain vet assures me that this is all due to degeneration.
Is there any chance at all that Murphy's rapid decline in mobility and control is due to a switch from Rimadyl to Prednolosone? Can anything be done that we haven't tried? Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
*incontinence (autocorrect)
7/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now we would not expect any of these treatments to cause fecal incontinence. This is more likely related to weakness if the medication isn't working as well for him (since some individuals do better on some medications as opposed to others; even if steroids have better nervous system penetration then Rimadyl) or deterioration if his condition is progressing. That said, we do have to appreciate that urinary incontinence, while possibly related to those same causes, can also be a bigger issue for dogs on Prednisolone. This is because steroids commonly increase thirst and urination in dogs treated with them. And if Murphy is not used to having more urine in his bladder at any time or again is too sore to get himself up to go more often, then urinary accidents and leakage can be seen. Therefore, with this all in mind and with his current state, you can opt to trial him back on the Rimadyl. That way you can see if it makes a difference for him. It may aid the urinary situation at the very least. As well, you can speak to the vet about the option to use the Tramadol on top of the Gabapentin and anti-inflammatory of your choice. Since at the end of the day, our goal is to find what works best for him as an individual and keeps him mobile. Finally, while not as strong as those other treatments he is already on, you can also consider additional supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, omega 3 & 6 fish oils plus Duralactin to help maintain joint health and reduce inflammation naturally alongside his more intensive treatments. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
He has been on Science Diet J/D and Dasuquin for a number of years.
Good, I am glad that you have that based covered as well for Murphy. I did just want to note it, since you had not. Otherwise, do consider looking into Duralactin (http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm) as I have had some patients really benefit from it. Of course, these are mild treatments compared to everything else he is already on, but worth considering alongside a serious discussion about going back to the Rimadyl to see if we can at least reduce the urinary issues but also see if we get a better plane of analgesia for him with it. All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all thei nformation you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian