Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My friend swears a fox tail went in his nose and he feels it

Customer Question

My friend swears a fox tail went in his nose and he feels it is now lodged in his throat. He has been to the emergency room and had x-rays and an MRI. They say they don't see anything . I wonder if a vet could help him knowing so much more about fox tails? Can he die like a dog can? Seriously asking. Please let me know what you think. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help today. You are correct that we do see a lot of foxtails end up in odd places in dogs. Now if this wasn't seen on MRI, then one would be wary to assume that there is a foxtail still caught (as they can be brought back up, get digested if they make it to the stomach, etc). And in that case, we do also have to appreciate that we can have residual signs even once the plant material is gone. This would be related to secondary inflammation or abrasion from its contact with those delicate upper airway and throat tissues. So, it is possible to have had one, passed it, but still have residual discomfort in the throat. And in those cases, we do find a short course (1-2 weeks) of an anti-inflammatory can help reduce those signs. Otherwise, to answer your questions, dogs will not die due to foxtails being inhaled or stuck. What we can see is chronic irritation, inflammation, and possible development of an abscess or swelling where the foxtail is stuck. With those in mind and his mention of throat based irritation, he can request that his doctor scope his throat with an endoscope. This is where a scope with a camera is placed down the throat to let the doctor see what is present. This way they can look for an embedded foxtail but also for these side effects. Depending on which is found, foxtails can be extracted during scoping, and abscesses can potentially be opened/drained and be treated with antibiotics. So, if this were a dog patient in this situation, this would be our next step here. But again to put everyone's mind at rest, this is not a dangerous or potentially fatal issue. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ifyou have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet