Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My doxy fell off the bed a week ago. An hour later she would

Customer Question

My doxy fell off the bed a week ago. An hour later she would not let me pick her up without yelping when I picked her up and she is hobeling and lifting the front left foot. She yelps when we touch her front under her neck. She is eating and drinking fine, But she lays around all day and doesn't want anyone to touch her. She yelps only whn we try to touch her left shoulder area. What do you think is the matter? She allowed me to examine her leg and it seems fine...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.Based on your description, and Penny's breed (Dachshund), it is likely that there's been an injury to the portion of the spine between the neck and shoulder. Typically this is a bulging disc, which then puts pressure on a nerve running to one of the legs. The leg itself is fine, but there's significant pain, which is worsened when active, so most affected dogs are reluctant to move.Treatment typically consists of prescription medicines to alleviate inflammation and pain, along with a muscle relaxant in some cases, and strict rest for 10-14 days.Over the counter medicines are not usually useful in this sort of situation, unfortunately.