Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pug that is 7 yrs. old has been pooping in the house. I

Customer Question
My pug that is 7...
My pug that is 7 yrs. old has been pooping in the house. I really don't think she even realizes she is doing it. She can be walking, and they just fall out of her without any effort on her part. Do you have any ideas on what could be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear that Blossom is having accidents in the house. When dogs have bowel movements this is an indication of a bowel movement that is in the colon for an extended period of time, which can be a gi motility problem or related to a reduced signal from the back to the rectal area they have to defecate, a form of incontinence. There are certain steps that can be taken to reduce this frequency, more often seen in senior pets 1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Walking 15-20 minutes before bed will help encourage that mobility and emptying of the colon4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to reiterate to your veterinarian your concerns to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, a back issue or another metabolic cause of this issue Please let me know if you have any additional questions today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian