Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 5 year old pomeranian female that is fixed. She

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old pomeranian female that is fixed. She is panting day and night. The only time shes not panting is when she lays down with her head down. Even in the middle of the night if she wakes up she will pick her head up and start panting. It is not because she is hot. She is a inside dog. Last night i noticed her nose was not cold and wet. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Excessive panting in dogs can be from a few things- anxiety, fever, pain, endocrine disease. If you want to take a rectal temp at home, you can use any digital thermometer. The normal range is 100-102. If > 103, then it's a fever. If the temp is normal, then an exam to look for any source of pain (hip pain, back pain, abdominal pain) would be ideal. I would also do some screening bloodwork to make sure there is not some type of metabolic or endocrine disease. If the ALK Phos is high on routine bloodwork, then I would do a cortisol test to check the adrenal gland function. There is a condition called Cushing's that commonly leads to increased panting. These dogs also often show increased thirst, urination and appetite. It's worth being aware of and checking for if needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?