Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Want to give my 16 lb dachshund prednisone in

Customer Question
Want to give my 16...
Want to give my 16 lb dachshund prednisone for swelling in her back. Have had several other dachshunds with this same problem. I have her on tramadol right now for pain but need to get the swelling down.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. For back pain in dogs, I typically use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl. Pred is ok as well, but I find Rimadyl works as well and has less side effects. If you have Prednisone at home and want to give it, the dose I use is 0.25 mg per lb body weight every 12-24 hours. If you don't have any pred at home and you want to try something over the counter, you could give Aspirin as a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. The dose of Aspirin is 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian