Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been throwing up his water and today his breathing

Customer Question

my dog has been throwing up his water and today his breathing is more shallow and I am very worried that he may be dying. it is like he is wheezing and I was wondering ii should call the vet and he ahs not had a appetite for over a week.
\
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I share your concerns about your lad. Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds +multiply that by 6)?Can he keep any water down at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are pale and seem kind of sticky. I would say breathing is like a breath every 2 seconds and when he drinks water he throws it up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should I call my vet and get him in. I am so worried since he is a older dog and is a beagle. it is also like he cant stand on his back legs and is very shaky. the breathing just started getting bad overnite when I woke up this morning he was wheezing and sleeps a lot. over the last few days when he would drink he wouldx th row the water up and it was mixed with a little bit of blood. Im worried he is dying and the vet will tell me he needs to be put to sleep. and I do not want that and I don't want him to suffer either.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,If his breathing rate is ~30 breaths per minute but his gums are pale, then I am quite concerned here for your lad. As well, if he cannot even keep water down, at the very least he is going to need injectable anti-vomiting treatment. So, with those parameters as they are, I do feel it is best to have him seen urgently. The weakness could just be secondary to dehydration (which the stickiness of his gums confirm) and his having starved himself; but again those pale gums and vomiting this severe (where the blood is likely due to the trauma of vomiting on his throat) are the main signs of worry here. And if we don't address those, then we may lose him. So, I know you are worried about what they will say, but we cannot leave him this way. So, do let his vet know you are keen to help him and they will aid you to do all that can be done for him. Please take care,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have the funds to cover everything they will want to do today. Since I do not have the funds till tomorrow. I am wondering if the verts office could just hold the bill till 2morrow till I get paid and I want him seen as soon as possible. I am so scared for him. He is a like my child and I love him very much and feel so bad for him. Is there anything I can do to keep him comfortable till I can get him seen by the vet. He has been wheezing and just has not been himself for the last few days and is sleeping a lot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know most vets do not like to hold the bill for days and when I had him in 2 weeks ago for his rabies shot they listened to his stomach and did a exam but did not tell me if they found anything. just did the rabies shot and trimmed his nails and sent me on my way. and he has been having some green pussy looking gunk coming from his eye as well and I have been using the bacitracin that the vet gave me and that is not getting better. so what should I do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,I am afraid with how he sounds, there is little we can do at home (I would certainly have said if there was any option that we could use). We just need to keep him calm and get him seen as soon as possible. Otherwise, if you are upfront and honest with them, they will work with you. At the very least, they can give subcutaneous fluids under his skin to help with his dehydration and injectable treatment for today and they dispense further treatment once everything is sorted tomorrow. That way they can get help him and work with you on the financial side of things. And if funds are a concern, there is help out there. If you have a VCA veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offer (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).It would be an economical opportunity to get your wee one seen and offset any treatment costs. As well, Banfield offers a similar offer as well (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).If you don't have a VCA near you, then consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html)or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills).Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and subsidize care and surely will be willing to help if we need them to. Take care,Dr. B.