Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 115 lb. 4 year old English lab. He has had two knee

Customer Question
surgeries at two and 3...
I have a 115 lb. 4 year old English lab. He has had two knee surgeries at two and 3 years old. Now he is having pain and discomfort with his right front shoulder and elbow. My vet want's to do scope out those areas. My wife and I are not to happy having to go through a third surgery. I have been giving him prscribved rimadyl 2x a day and over the counter GNC Hip joint health which contais 750 mg glucosamine, 600 mg chondroitin , 500 mg msm plus an omega fatty acid 3 tablet 1x a day. Over the past two weeks he has been taking tramadol 1tablet 1x a day. He limp has not improved. Is there a better alternative to the GNC brand that I mentioned such a maybe dasuquin ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Boomer is having problems with yet another leg! I am sure this is terribly frustrating for you. 1.) Glucosamine is a tricky subject, studies show glucosamine chloride is not readily metabolized and ending in the joints versus glucosamine sulfate which has been studied extensively and found to get to the joint. The product I recommend and dispense is a product called myristin (CLICK HERE) 2.) The dose of tramadol is very low for a dog his size. At 115 pounds (52 kg) the dose range is 1-4 mg/kg every 8-12 hours as needed for pain so if necessary on bad days you can increase the dose if he is painful3.) Gabapentin- this is called neurontin in people. It works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain and is my top choice for senior pets because it is not metabolized as readily by the liver and is easier on a pet. The pros are that it is not pricey, has no high end dose so if the pain escalates as your pet gets older we simply adjust the dose, and is easier on older pets. The cons is that it has to be given consistently because withdrawing it suddenly causes what is called rebound of pain which is higher then original level, can cause mild sedation initially4.) Ensuring the fish oil you are currently administering is high in omega fatty acids EPA & DHA so for a dog his size 1500 mg daily 5.) Alternative medicine: laser or light therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy. All are fantastic ways to help minimize pain, increase strength, and allow rest more comfortably. If there is a physical therapy facility in your area they would have all of these. Typically I will start with acupuncture and/ or laser therapy and then add in the physical therapy once we are more comfortable. I often see remarkable results with one to two sessionsI hope this information is helpful but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian