Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is breathing very rapidly while resting

Customer Question
my dog is breathing very rapidly while resting
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)? Are his gums pink or pale/white?
about 120 and his gums are pink
Thank you, ***** ***** is very high, can you confirm that is his breathing rate (as some people do mistakenly take heart rates insted)? Since you gave aspirin, is there any reason that he may be in pain?What dose did you give? How much does he weigh?

baby asperin & he weighs about 12 pounds

Hello again,First, you do need to be very careful with Aspirin. The dose you have given is too much (1.5x the top dose) for his size. So, we do need to be careful since this is a blood thinner and can also cause painful stomach ulcers. Now I assume that his breathing was rapid at rest before this was given. If the breathing started afterwards, then an ulcer would be a real worry here for Hunter. But if it was given afterwards, then we do have to think about other reasons for his respiratory distress. And I call it distress because a normal resting rate for a dog is only 20-30 bpm. So, this is a massive increased in breathing rate and a real worry for him. As well, while I am glad to see that his gums are pink (a sign of adequate oxygenation), I am very concerned that they may only just be pink because he is breathing so fast to take in oxygen. I worry that if he were to slow to a normal rate, we could see those gums pale and he could collapse. Now in regards ***** ***** for this situation, we do have to assume we have an issue with his heart, his lungs, or his circulation (anemia). If he has too little red blood cells to carry oxygen, if his heart is struggling to beat and push blood around his body effectively or if there is disease (infection, tumors, asthma, etc) in the lungs; all could cause the signs we are seeing. And I have to note that while aspirin is used for pain relief on rare occasions for dogs, it will not address any of these concerns. Therefore, with all of this in mind and his severe state of breathing, we do need to be proactive and tread with great care. Therefore, I have to say that this is a situation where we need to get the local vet involved. They can put him on oxygen to ease his breathing and once stable examine him to pinpoint which issue is to blame. As well, they can make sure we have no stomach ulcer from this overdose and start him on gastroprotectants to reduce that risk for him. Depending on their findings, the can advise you of where the issue that is compromising his breathing lies. And that will guide how we can treat this and help him (ie heart medication, antibiotics for infection, etc). And that would give us the best chance to address this problem to get him breathing easier before he fatigues and collapses on us. In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet if your isn't open just now. To find your local ER veterinaryclinic, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hunter. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian