Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is lethargic and not eating - has thrown up twice in

Customer Question
the past three days -...
My dog is lethargic and not eating - has thrown up twice in the past three days - vet said she needed a change in dog food. Changed it to Nutro Lamb and potato canned food - and gave her some 1 tablespoon of peptobismol - 20 minutes after the pepto she ate - next morning she ate a few bites more and has not eaten ever since. she has drank a lot of water. She also has started "shivering" on and off and it is occurring more often. Cannot tell if she is in any pain?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What has she been bringing up in her vomit?Can she keep water down?Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?Any diarrhea?How much does Zoe weigh?
Her vomit is yellow liquid. She has not vomited anymore for the past two days, but is drinking a lot of water. Gums are pink and moist. I pressed on her belly, does not seem to be bothering her. She weighs 68 lbs. She is an indoor dog and nothing around that she could have gotten into. Still has the tremors or shivering.
Thank you, ***** ***** would note that the shivers are not unexpected, as they are a sign of fever or dogs feeling generally unwell. So, as long as she hasn't ingested a toxic substance, we would expect those to settle as we address her severe nausea (which would have triggered the vomiting but also also her anorexia). Now just since you noted that she is drinking a lot, is this a new behavior for her?Did it start with her other GI signs? Is she neutered?Is she passing very dilute/watery urine?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian