Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My little dog just started coughing up white foam. It has been

Customer Question

My little dog just started coughing up white foam. It has been a very hot day and she has been sleeping a lot. she is 5 years old and in good health. Has had all shots.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Is the cough the main feature rather than the white foam? 2. Does the cough sound a little bit like something stuck in the throat?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the cough does sound like a dry throat and she started coughing first than after she drank a little water than she coughed up some white foam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For now, she seems to have quit coughing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All of a sudden she is fine!!! Wagging her tail!!!!
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... If she has now settled down and has returned to her normal self then all well and good, it could be she just swallowed the wrong way or something like that but if symptoms start again then I would not be at all surprised if your dog has not contracted some degree of an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is retching like that other diagnosis are certainly possible but from your description it does sound very like kennel cough.However as kennel cough would be a front runner I will tell you a little of what I know about it ...Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, { Like the vet's surgery for example! } but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease. This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease.3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, she will bring up some white sputum, sometimes owners take this for vomit. Once he has done this she will settle down for a bit. This however is a repeated cough / retch which just keep happening.4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly. For this reason if symptoms continue then you should have your vet check your dog over over at the next opportunity and of course this is a wise move as other diagnosis are possible. Unfortunately if this is a respiratory disease such as kennel cough starting then there is very little you can do to make her more comfortable on a home remedy basis.5. There are effective vaccines against some forms of this disease but because there are a number of other forms vaccinated dogs can still contract this disease.Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answer