Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogs eye was suddenly swollen after waking up from a nap.

Customer Question

My dogs eye was suddenly swollen after waking up from a nap. He was perfectly fine an hour ago so I don't know why the eye is swollen. There is a large lump of swollen eyelid right over his eye and it's soft and obstructs his ability to open the eye all the way. The inner lid is red and there's a little discharge but the eye is not watery. It bothers him cuz he tries to scratch it and I've given him a little Benadryl and put an e-collar on. He is a 5lb chihuahua.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you confirm that Wilson's eyeball is not affected?
(ie no eyeball swelling, clouding, haziness, or damage)?
How much Benadryl did you give? How long ago?