Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog has been eating too much dry dog food. Since I adopted

Customer Question

my dog has been eating too much dry dog food. Since I adopted another dog a week ago I have noticed that my dog is wolfing down his food and more than he should before the other dog can. Now he appears fatter in the stomach, it is rigid, and he is very tired. Is there anything I can do to make sure that things are working as they should (bowels)?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear Buckley is eating this way. I am happy to help you this evening. One thing to make sure stuff is moving through the way it is suppose to you can add in some canned pumpkin with no spices. The fiber in the pumpkin will help move things a long and help improve digestive health. Also when you feed him you can spread the measured amount of food out on a platter or flat surface. This will slow his eating down and not allowing him to scarf anything down. This will be healthier for his tummy and prevent him from getting bloated from eating to fast. The canned pumpkin adds the healthy fiber and controlling the speed at which he eats should really help him. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!