brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My 4 mos old Chesapeake may have swallowed a small piece of

Customer Question

My 4 mos old Chesapeake may have swallowed a small piece of a small mushroom. When my husband took him for a run. I don't know if it is poisonous or not - but was growing where fly amanitas grow sometimes. I gave him appx 20 ml hydrogen perioxide and he did vomit, I believe all the contents of his stomach including an apple I let him eat about 1.5 hours ago. Show I do anything more?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Fly amanitas can cause CNS changes and are psychoactive. Clinical signs can be seen within 30 minutes but can be delayed up to 12 hours after ingestion. These include sedation, a drunken walk, disorientation, constricted pupils, weakness, paddling, tremors, seizures, coma, and (rarely) death.So far, you have done the right thing by inducing vomiting. I do recommend that you contact your local vet or emergency hospital. The next step would be administering a dose of activated charcoal. After that, it would be appropriate to monitor him for the development of any of those clinical signs listed above. If you see any changes, I would hospitalize him on IV fluids and treat with medications as needed to control anxiety or seizures.
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 100% sure it was not a fly amanita, the mushroom was only 1.5 inches in length, was pale beige, but I just don't know mushrooms well enough to guess. Other things I read thought that just emptying the contents of the stomach should do the trick.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you think?
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
I agree that very likely he is out of the woods - identifying mushrooms is extremely difficult. That's why I recommended moving forward with the activated charcoal. We are basically playing better safe than sorry!
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sampson. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan