Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an 8.4 lb dog. She has been experiencing severe itching

Customer Question
and had red irritated skin...
I have an 8.4 lb dog. She has been experiencing severe itching and had red irritated skin in places behind front legs, ears, rear end, etc.). Went to vet 8 days ago. No fleas were seen. She was given prednisone 1/4 of a 5mg pill. By Monday itching was worse. Called and was told to get children's Benadryl and give 1/2 tsp. Helped some with itching but she got no better and began hiding under beds. Friday returned to different vet and he saw fleas. showed them to me. Quite a few. Started on Nexgard and Temaril-p (decreasing dose started on 1/2 pill every 12 hours for three days. She still seems to be itching and when I checked I saw a flea on her. Can I use Frontline topical and nexgard or won't that help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Frontline is safe to add to Nexguard therapy but it shouldn't be necessary. Instead, I would concentrate on environmental control. Hiring a professional fumigator should be considered but you can treat your indoor environment with an over the counter premise spray containing an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as methoprene which can be found in Siphotrol Premise Spray (please see here: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Premise-Control-Spray-16-Ounce/dp/B000KVSTC0). The IGRs don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas. I suspect that the increasing warmth at this time of year is encouraging flea egg hatches in your home. The IGRs will break up the life cycle of the flea and thus hasten remission of her flea saliva allergy.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian