Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is throwing up about every three hours.

Customer Question

Hi My dog is throwing up about every three hours.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is he lethargic? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- How long has this been going on? 6- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He may have gotten into some butter, its all I can think of.
He doesn't have any pre-existing medical conditional
He is somewhat lethargic but he just woke up.
It started yesterday.
They seen pink but feel dryish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh and he weighs about 17 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. If he did get into butter I am concern about pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas); other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.To determine the exact underlying cause he will need blood work and xrays as initial screening test by a veterinarian. The fact that he is vomiting every 3 hours since yesterday I am really concern about his hydration; I would have him checked by ER vet today so they can start him on supportive care (IV fluids, anti emetic, etc.) while vet runs some testing. If you don't have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. \4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter