Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My labradoodle(2nd generation)10 month old has developed a…

Customer Question
My labradoodle(2nd generation)10 month old...
My labradoodle(2nd generation)10 month old has developed a skin condition in the last month. Grey brittle hair on tail w skin lesions and bare skin under grey hair. Also few areas under reg hair (brown curly) that are dry lesions. Concern?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
7/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 2 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The image appears to represent a pyotraumatic dermatitis - a "hot spot". This usually appears secondary to my patient excoriating its skin by biting and scratching to the point of ulcerating the skin which then becomes secondarily infected. An allergic dermatitis is most common - allergies to flea saliva, environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc., as well as food intolerance are considered. Lesions such as these have the surrounding hair shaved away, cleansed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, and a systemic corticosteroid +/- antibiotic prescribed. A topical spray that addressed inflammation and infection may be useful as well. A thorough physical exam and history should be taken in an attempt to clarify what my patient may be allergic to. Please ignore our conversation if you've already had your Labradoodle attended to by the vet and have no need to continue on here.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian