Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog just started pooping this morning. Diarrhea he only

Customer Question

My dog just started pooping this morning. Diarrhea he only weighs 9 pounds. Just vomited and it stunk horrible. He is just laying on the couch and won't even jump up to get there. This just came in out of no where
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.My top worry for Woody is that with his small size he is at high risk for severe dehydration. So, we need to assess if he is in an emergency situation. Please check his gums. They should be pink in color (not yellow, white/pale or ash/purple) and your finger should glide when touch, not find them dry or very sticky/tacky. If you find any of those abnormal parameters, then this indicates he should be seen on an emergency basis now. As well, if you see any blood in his stool, he is profusely straining to defecate, has abdominal pain, any difficulty breathing or is profoundly depressed, then these are indications he must be examined.If he is in good spirits, but has diarrhea, yet eating and drinking then you could certainly continue at-home care and monitor, knowing if he worsens, doesn't improve or develops anything I mentioned above, then you must seek out emergency care.I wish I could guess as to the cause of his diarrhea but this is vague sign that can be due to a very long list of potential causes ranging from ingestion of unusual item that has upset the system to obstructed foreign object that cannot pass through to intestinal parasites to pancreatitis to organ issue (liver, kidney) to inflammatory bowel disease and the list continues.What can you try at home?1) continue to feed a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. IF he does not like chicken then you could use cottage cheese instead.2) Give famotidine 10mg at 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.3) Peptobismol liquid: Give 1/2 ml (0.5 cc) by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He just seems very sad. He looks just very scared and isn't drinking or eating anything.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
This poor guy! If you cannot tempt him to eat/drink, then I really must recommend the best for him would be to be seen today. He can then get started on some medication to more effectively treat his diarrhea, and rule out some of the more life threatening causes of this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This came out of now where he was fine last night and seemed happy this morning until later we took him out and he had diarrhea. He only threw up once but it stunk like poop.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I really wish I could provide you with an exact diagnosis for his issues, but I too would need to perform an exam and some testing to narrow down the cause. I also wish I could assure you with supportive care, such as that I mentioned you could try at home above, that he will be fine. You must make a judgement call if you feel he is stable and not worsening and then choose to watch him at home, or if you feel he is worsening (more depressed, more diarrhea) then take him in today to be seen and get some prescription medication to treat, and ensure this is a simple diarrhea and not something worse like pancreatitis.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jamie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Woody. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey