Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I hope you can help! I have a 14 year old mixed breed dog

Customer Question

Hi I hope you can help! I have a 14 year old mixed breed dog who most likely has cancer. I say most likely because he was losing weight very fast over a period of months. He's had an ultrasound that shows a mass in the area of his bladder, or spleen. They wanted to d a biopsy to make sure but it would be very costly. In he vet's opinion there was most likely some form of cancer. Sense then he has lost all control of his bladder and rectum. I wash him just about every day, tried different kinds of shampoos and he still smells bad afterwards. Could that be the cancer that I smell? He realllyyyy stinks. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear your senior friend is having so many issues
My primary concern when I hear a dog is leaking urine is that he has developed a urinary tract infection as a result. This is terribly common, in fact I treated a dog just a few weeks ago with bowel and urine control issues that had a horrific smell and with urine evaluation was found to have a significant UTI. Once that was treated the smell didn't completely go away because of the leaking urine and feces but it did improve drastically on recheck evaluations
So if you are able to collect some urine or have your veterinarian collect some urine I would test it first and foremost for a uti and if he has one begin appropriate antibiotic therapy to resolve the infection and hopefully the odor as well
Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today. I am so very sorry you both are in this situation, I know how difficult it can be on everyone involved...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both, truly
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!