DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog picked up a rock and then started sneezing, now her

Customer Question

my dog picked up a rock and then started sneezing, now her gums are red she is uncomforable. what can i do to help her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I am assuming the dog did not consume the rock but just grabbed it and then spit it out. The rock may have had something on it that was irritating or some types of rocks are very salty tasting and burn the mouth. I would recommend rinsing the mouth out gently if you are able to with water. Wipe of the gums of with a warm washcloth and then offer a small amount of wetted down to food. This should help clean out the residue from the rock. If the dog ate the rock, this is more concerning as it may be irritating the stomach. If this has happened, I would recommend going in to see our vet immediately, unless it was a pea sized rock. Anything bigger could cause a GI blockage. I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMelJ