Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Penis swollen distended out of sheath with pus. Tip drying

Customer Question
Penis swollen distended out of...
Penis swollen distended out of sheath with pus. Tip drying out. I've coated with vaseline to prevent drying. What else?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear Baby is having this issue, it definitely can be an emergency if the tip is continuing to be out as you describe but you did the right thing in putting vaseline on the exposed area until you can get him into the vet. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition- No licking! Licking wipes off the vaseline and introduces oral bacteria that can increase risk of a urinary tract infection- Put granulated sugar (I know it is weird!) on the exposed area which will help reduce the edema and hopefully allow the tip to recede into the prepuce- Try feeding the tip back into the prepuce after the sugar and if it does go back in then pinch the foreskin there together for a good five minutes to prevent it from returning exposed againIf this is not working and he is still exposed I would urge a veterinary er to help keep the tip in the prepuce and minimize further trauma to the penis which can become a true emergency if there is drying of the exposed tissuePlease let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with tonight If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Baby to see if you were able to get some resolution last night? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
I thought I had responded to your answer. Yes, I added sugar to the vaseline I was coating his penis with, and yes, he did get some relief in the form of reduced swelling. I took Baby to his vet for further evaluation and was told he most likely has a slipped disk causing some difficulty in walking as well as some nerve damage in his GU tract. He received an antibiotic ointment for his penis. I understand that the condition will probably continue with better and worse days. I did appreciate your suggestion of adding the sugar to the vaseline as it seems to give him more relief than just the vaseline alone. I've agreed to pay your ONE TIME fees. Thank you for your time.
Thank you for your follow up, I apologize if you did respond prior to now but it didn't appear until now. You have paid a one time fee deposit for your question but have not yet rated our conversation so I have not been compensated. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in the future and so sorry to hear Baby continues to struggle with his rear legs and back
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian