jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My 2 dogs have been tested parasites and all of their

Customer Question

My 2 dogs have been tested for all parasites and all of their blood work has come back normal. All of their shots and preventative medicine is current.
I have a 10 month old English Mastiff and a 7 month old Mastiff- boxer mix. The larger male eats 3 cups of Blue Wilderness, 2x day. The smaller female, eats 2 cups, 2x day. I switched to this food to eliminate corn meal and corn meal by products, along with gluten. I thought that deboned chicken and brown rice would be healthier. That being said, I can't find a food that will harden their stool. purina pro plan chicken and rice was worse. Sometimes they have hard stool, but most of the time it is very soft and bothersome to clean. I'm desperate to know what food to choose. When I boil ground beef and chicken breast along with white rice , it hardens their stool. But I can't continue to do that. I really appreciate your opinion and help with this. Thank you, Denny.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 years ago.
I'm so sorry no other expert took your question sooner. There are a few things you can add to the diet to ensure their stools firm up. One would be canned pumpkin (no pie filling). Another would be metamucil. You usually only need a spoonful on the food. This adds fiber which in turn absorbs excess fluid in the bowels leading to firm but pliable fecal matter. You might also add a probiotic to the food to aid in digestion. That often helps with digestive issues as well. Be sure to not change foods over too fast as that causes diarrhea as well. Stick to one food when possible. A bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger well drained with white rice is good for those times a dog has an upset stomach. You might try some pepto-bismol as well.which can be given to a dog at 1 tsp per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.