Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a 6 month Doberman who is very skinny and always

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 6 month Doberman who is very skinny and always finds something to eat, if we are cooking he is around our feet and constantly jumps up at the table or sides looking for something, he will get into lunch boxes and eats his food in seconds flat, I'm giving him what's been recommended but he hasn't put on weight and his constant jumping up looking for food is driving be my family crazy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern for Rocky.Well, a few first things to address. 1. Some dogs, like people, simply have faster metabolisms. Therefore, his caloric requirement may be higher. So, you may need to simply feed him more!2. His level of activity. If he is playing a lot, chasing ball, playing with other dogs, he is burning a lot of calories. So, that would also require a need for increased caloric intake. 3. His age and breed. Definitely, growing! So, his needs will be higher for at least another 6 to 12 months. 4. Parasites. Got to rule-out intestinal parasite issues that could be contributing to weight gain issues. Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. That is where I would start. If continuing not to improve than I would consider some basic blood testing for an overall health assessment to determine if there could be any other undelrying endocrine problem contiributing to the increased appetite and weight loss. Good Luck!Dr. Andy