Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Can thyovet cause visual problems in my 15 year old beagle?

Customer Question

Can thyovet cause visual problems in my 15 year old beagle? She has been on this
medication for 1 1/2 years and although it has helped to control her thyroid problem
she has become increasingly visually sensitive to sunlight and now requires walking
when she cannot see shadows. Her anxiety seems directly connected to bright light.
Her blood work, done recently, is fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has cateracts but seems to see better at a distance than up close.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that your girl is taking thyrovet for hypothyroidism and you are concerned it may be affecting her vision as she seems sensitive to sunlight and seems more anxious in bright light even though recent blood work looks normal.I do not believe that the thyrovet medication is involved in her symptoms if her thyroid levels look normal on blood tests. Dogs that are oversupplemented can become more anxious and get hypertensive (high blood pressure), which could cause ocular bleeding (bleeding into the eye, especially the retina or back of the eye) and discomfort but if her blood levels are normal then hypertension secondary to oversupplementation wouldn't be likely. There are other reasons for hypertension however, including heart disease, kidney disease and Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism).In general dogs have better far vision than close vision, it is simply the way their eyes are designed. They don't need to read, but they need to see prey or enemies at a distance.Beagles however are prone to developing glaucoma which would make her eyes more sensitive to light and cataracts and the inflammation they cause within her eye also make her more predisposed to developing glaucoma.Was blood work done to evaluate her thyroid hormone levels only or did it include a complete blood count and biochemistry profile to look at kidney and liver function? If she was only evaluated for thyroid levels then she should have a biochemistry profile done to look for underlying metabolic organ disease.If a biochemistry profile was done and was normal then I highly recommend she have her blood pressure checked and her eye pressures checked to test her for developing glaucoma. Those would be more reasonable causes of her aversion to bright light.Also if her cataracts are worsening that can increase inflammation in her eye, and increase shadows and interfere more with vision in bright light, so that alone could be the problem. Well worth evaluating her cataracts for disease progression if she isn't hypertensive and doesn't have glaucoma.Please let me know if you have any further questions.