Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We are visiting the Delaware Beaches and our Dogs, and

Customer Question
Hello we are visiting the...
Hello we are visiting the Delaware Beaches and our Dogs, and in particular our 7 year old mini dachshund has been itching like crazy, including the development of some rash/welt like areas near her vaginal area, photos attached to this question for your
review. I suspect they are either fleas or Sand Fleas. We give her trifexis monthly and applied a flea specific shampoo to her yesterday but she is still itching constantly and the welts seem the same. Can you please advise on any further measures we can do
to help her? would topical cortisone be a good option to help alleviate the itching and swelling and redness? Note, if the files appear too large on your computer you can use Control and + or - key to zoom in and out
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
It is hard to tell from the photo, but it could be one of a few different things. It is possible that those are hives and if so, it could be from any number of things she may have been exposed to or bit by that is setting off an allergic reaction. It would be ok to give a dose of non-prescription Benadryl and see if it improves. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg. This can be repeated two to three times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you may need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.
It is also possible it is an early "hot spot" or moist dermatitis, especially if she has been in the water a lot. This occurs when the coat stays wet and the skin gets irritated and inflammed and the whole process just progresses very quickly and can get very large. The key is to keep the area dry and this is usually best accomplished by shaving the hair in that area as the skin will usually start to weep a thick serum like fluid (like a blister does). If this is an early stage one, I would try a cool epsom salt soak to help relieve inflammation, but make sure to dry well. Their are hydrocortisone sprays that may help as well. I don't like ointments as they keep the area moist. It is essential that she is not allowed to lick the area as it can make it worse quickly.
Hydrocortisone is a very weak steroid and that may not be enough to offer relief in either of those cases. If not, you best course of action is to seek veterinary services so that a more effective product can be prescribed.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian