Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 month old female golden retreiver I think swalled a 650

Customer Question

My 5 month old female golden retreiver I think swalled a 650 mg tablet of acetaminophen will she be okay she weighs 27 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did she have this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30 minute will she be okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will she be okay
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now this is much too high a dose for her, and there are risks of serious side effects here. This drug can cause stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ulcers, breathing difficulties, liver damage, and collapse. Therefore, if she just had this, we need to act fast.
To start, you need to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it into her. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of her stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
So that you can start this now, I will stop here, send this, and then I will continue with what else you need to do in a second message. So, start this now and then refresh/reload this page for the rest of my answer.
Speak again shortly,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Now hopefully if you induce vomiting, we will get the whole tablet back. Otherwise, we need to follow up with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much she absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Overall, Acetaminophen is dangerous for dogs. So, we need to use the above to avoid harm here. If you cannot or are struggling at all, then we want her to her local vet or ER vet urgently. They can do the above, administer the antidote for this an start her on fluids to flush the drug out to limit harm.
So, any struggles and we'd need her seen urgently. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check and @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am scared I do not have money for emergency visit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid to give her hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I understand that isn't possible. Therefore, do use the above steps just now so that you can limit her risk here. And if you cannot, then the only other option is to have her to her vets as soon as they are open. It will be later then ideal but they can still use those other treatments and the activated charcoal to reduce the risk here. But the best thing you can do to help Keira is induce vomiting with peroxide now. It is a much safer option then leaving that tablet in her stomach.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She Keira vomited a lot I did not recover a pill she seems okay
What should I do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
What are you seeing in the vomit?
Is the material/food you are seeing something you gave before or after the pill?
Had you given the peroxide to get her to vomit?
How long ago now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No food no pill just a cloudy vomit 3 times she seems okay I am so scared for her I love her so much
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please respond
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 half teaspoons
Now what
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Please know that when you send multiple messages every few minutes, you are blocking me from posting a reply. So, I am trying to respond but you are blocking me doing so as quickly as possible.
Now I appreciate that you are worried, but inducing vomiting is the best thing you can do in a situation like this. Since she didn't bring up much, I would give the hydrogen peroxide again (you can do it up to 3x if need be). If you don't see more productive vomiting and a pill, then you need to go to the pharmacy to pick up activated charcoal to give her. This can mixed into food for her to eat or water to syringe into her mouth. This will bind any drug we cannot get up and out of her system. And again this will reduce her risk of danger here.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long until I see symtoms
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
If you don't get the tablet back up and don't bind it with activated charcoal, then we can see signs as early as an hour post ingestion but it can be delayed as long as 12 hours. So that you can appreciate all the symptoms and their timescale, I'd advise a read about this @ http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/toxins-poisons/acetaminophen-tylenol-toxicity-in-dogs
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I am now away to see one of my own patients. So my replies for the next few hours may be delayed. You do have all the tools you need to address this, but I will reply to any other messages as soon as I am able. If you need an more urgent reply, you can click the relist button and an online colleague should be able to help sooner.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot find the charcoal what else can I use
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
I am afraid there is nothing else similar to activated charcoal. If you cannot get it OTC (which is odd since most stores carry at least the low grade version for gas) at a local pharmacy, then you can see if the local ER vet will dispense some to you even if you cannot afford to bring her in for them to help.
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great service
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Take care & all the best for Keira,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Keira. How is everything going?

nekovet