Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My English bulldog has been sick since Monday, she woke up

Customer Question
vomiting mucous then on Wednesday...
My English bulldog has been sick since Monday, she woke up vomiting mucous then on Wednesday she woke up vomiting bile. I fed her rice and her prescription GI food. Then today she started with yellow diarrhea. She has also been extra congested.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is she still eating? Can she at least keep keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
any blood or mucus in her diarrhea?
Any discharge from her nose?
She is still eating and keeping her food and water down for the most part. Her gums are pink. Her belly is soft to the touch, she will let me push, rub and tap all over the belly area. The diarrhea is a bright golden mustard yellow color. Her nose has a little bit of "runnyness" ever now and then. But for the most past is dry. Is it possible she ate something, yes. She will pick up anything from the floor and eat it. Also, on Sunday we had a big family party and they could have fed her. But that doesn't explain the extra congestion. She is on Apoquel and Zyrtec for allergies but this week she seem extra congested.
Thank you,
Did the nasal runniness start after the vomiting did?
Can you confirm that she is vomiting and not retching due to a cough?
No I actually can't confirm that it is vomit. when I cleaned it up the first time it was thick and mucous not any food. The second time was thick mucous with yellow bile. I do believe that the runniness did start after the vomit.
Thank you,
The reason for my questions is because we do have a few potential scenarios that fit with Summer's signs. First, she could have vomiting (which is possible since we also have diarrhea) but has aspirated a small amount of vomit to thus cause upper airway irritation and congestion. Otherwise, especially if she is keeping food down and bringing up mucus, we can see dogs with upper airway infections (ie kennel cough, parainfluneza) be congested and also retch because the throat is so sore. And retching can often bring up mucus but then also stomach contents.
Therefore, in this case, I would advise trying to address both. If she can at least keep food and water down, I would advise trying her with a liquid antacid to start. This will aid nausea but also coat her throat in case it is inflamed. There are a range of antacids on the market, but the liquid one we'd use in this case is Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide). You can give her 0.5-1 teaspoon every 8 hours. If she has any coughing, you can also give plain honey or honey/glycerin cough syrup to soothe her throat.
Once that is on board, since we do have diarrhea here to address, do consider putting her on a light diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). You want to offer a small amount (1 tbsp) to start and if she keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. The aim of these is that they are easy to digest, so less likely to cause vomiting and reduces diarrhea loads for them. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Further to this, there are some anti-diarrheals that you can use here to slow things down for her gut and help normalize her stools. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if she has happened to pick up a GI bug, but this should help settle any upset from those dietary indiscretion. As well, these can also aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. In regards ***** ***** options for her, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). I'd avoid Pepto Bismol here since the aspirin in it could irritate her stomach, But Kaolin is available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Pro-Pectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (both are available at some pet stores, OTC at vets, or even on Amazon) would be other options you could use. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, we do have a few considerations for Summer's signs. We do want to use the above to treat her diarrhea and also see if we can reduce her retch/vomit issue. While doing so, since an upper respiratory tract infection or irritation from aspiration are suspect, we also want to keep that throat soothed with the above. Of course, if she isn't settling within the next 12-24 hours with the above, then I would advise following up with her vet so that they can check which of these is an issue for her. They will be able to assess her hydration, rule out fever, and check that she hasn't aspirated anything. Depending on their findings, they can treat her with injectable antibiotics and anti-nausea medication to settle her stomach +/- decongestants and anti-inflammatories if her airway is inflamed to help her get back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B

I'm just following up on our conversation about Summer. How is everything going?

nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian