How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29765
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has been sick week. It started out with her shaking

Customer Question

My dog has been sick for a week. It started out with her shaking and vomiting and then moaning for about half an hour. Then she relaxed but became lethargic, drinking lots of water. We went to the vet. He wasn't able to get a urine sample. She had a slight fever. He did a blood panel and it came out fine. He thought she might have a bladder infection. He treated her with antibiotics. Initially she bounded back and seemed much better. Within a day she started refusing food, became lethargic, and vomited. The first antibiotic we tried was cephalaxin. I stopped giving it to her for about a day and her appetite returned. I called the vet and he switched it to something called Baytril (maybe..I'm not sure of the name actually). She had a couple of doses of it and began vomiting and refusing food. After some hours without the antibiotics she began eating a little again. Today we went back to the vet. He got a urine sample and found it to be clear. He is sending the sample to another lab to see if she possibly has some kidney issues. I was relieved that she would no longer need the antibiotics. She ate some chicken this morning and a little more this afternoon. When we got home tonight after being out for a couple of hours, we found she had vomited again. She drinks water and will go outside to urinate.She will not go for a walk. I am so worried. Could the antibiotics still be affecting her stomach? Her last dose was yesterday morning. Should I seek a second opinion or just wait out the results from the lab?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you presented them...Luna originally was uncomfortable (shaking) and showed symptoms of gastrointestinal distress (vomiting).She eased but became lethargic and polydipsic (increased thirst) either because she had dehydrated herself by vomiting or because polydipsisa is feature of many metabolic disorders.The blood work revealed nothing untoward. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as or bladder infection was suspected but I don't hear any evidence of such an infection - stranguria is common - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine.Antibiotics were prescribed and may have been poorly tolerated. A new antibiotics was prescribed and may have been poorly tolerated. While possible, two different antibiotics being poorly tolerated isn't common. We need to consider that an undiagnosed disorder exists that continues to cause gastrointestinal distress.A urinalysis apparently ruled out a urinary tract infection and antibiotic therapy was discontinued.A sample (blood? urine?) was sent out to see if she had "kidney issues". I need clarification about this testing, please.To answer you directly, I don't believe that her vomiting is related to antibiotic administration. If diagnostics don't reveal anything untoward, imaging in the form of X-rays or abdominal ultrasound should be considered. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Hi Cathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin