Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog just ate some Gibbs bubba gum and I want to make sure

Customer Question

My dog just ate some Gibbs bubba gum and I want to make sure it won't hurt her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
*hubba
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Is there any Xylitol in the gum? You should be able to find this information on the label?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was not an entire package but enough that I think she might have trouble digesting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the ingredients it does not list Xylitol as one of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She now seems very restless and is whimpering a lot, chewing on everything. I think she may be constipated trying to digest the gum.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
If there is no Xylitol in the ingredients, then it's not toxic. Xylitol is the only toxic ingredient in gum. It sounds like it may be upsetting the stomach and intestine as it passes. To help settle down the gut, you could give an antacid. I typically use Pepcid AC (Famotidine). The dose in a dog this size would be 20 mg every 12-24 hours. This should pass normally and she should be back to normal within 24-48 hours. It's not going to cause any serious issues. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi Lola,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?