Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 3 year old chihuahua, who is pregnant and has issues,

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old chihuahua, who is pregnant and has issues, so we have decided to do an elective C-section. My vet has not done a lot of these and can't give me answers to the servival rate for the pups, she has 4 for sure. she will be 63 day on July 21. Her C-section is on her 62nd day. We are praying she will wait until then. It was the best we could do with the vet. Can you give me any advise as to the servival right for the pups? And anything else I should know. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I do a lot of c-sections being an ER vet, so I can help answer your questions. I would recommend scheduling the c-section for day 60 or 61. If you wait until 62 or 63, you could end up with her going into labor first. If that happens, the survival rate of the puppy that has moved into the uterine body will go down. The ones up in the uterine horns still do well as long as you get them out within a few hours of labor starting. Once we get outside 2-4 hours, then the survival rates go down. If you get to the c-section before she goes into labor and after day 58, the survival rate for the puppies should be > 90%. The only ones we typically lose at that point, would be puppies with congenital defects or ones that are malformed in the uterus. When I do a c-section, I'll usually spay at the same time. If you plan to breed again, then spaying would not be done. I also send the mom and pups home within a few hours of surgery. They can start nursing as soon as mom wakes up. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.