Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14 yo toy poodle was actively fine 2 days ago. She slept

Customer Question
Hi, my 14 yo toy...
Hi, my 14 yo toy poodle was actively fine 2 days ago. She slept a lot in the past years but when she's up she's usually very active, barking and running everywhere. In the past 2 days she has gotten lethargic, reluctant to wake up, still eats her meals but not as greedy as she is usually. And sometimes when she's standing up she twitched a little bit. She had kennel cough last month and the doctor prescribed her with antibiotics and the cough is now very very minimal (only in the morning), I'm very concerned and scared that she might get a renal failure. Although she doesn't seem to urinate/ drink more often. Thanks a lot!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. It does sound like something is going on. I don't think it sounds like kidney failure. Usually those dogs are drinking and urinating more than normal. We also typically see some vomiting from the uremic ulcers that they form. I would want to run bloodwork, though, to check her kidney function, liver function, glucose and electrolytes. I would also want to see if she has a systemic infection (white cell count). If the bloodwork is normal, then some fluids to help with her hydration and potentially antibiotics in case of some other infection would be ideal. I would wonder if she has a fever. That can often be the cause of vague signs of lethargy in dogs. You could check that at home with a digital thermometer. A rectal temperature should be 100-102. If > 103, then it's a fever. A good exam and some bloodwork would be my recommendation for now. Let me know if you have other questions.
Hi Putri Haniman,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kumi. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian