Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 7 month old puppy licks at his penis all the time, it started

Customer Question

my 7 month old puppy licks at his penis all the time, it started with red spots but these have now turned into flat scabs where he has licked. he wors a collar to stop him licking for about a month the vet gave us steroid cream and then some anti fungal stuff, neither completely cured the red spots. the vet has now sent us away saying that he is a licker and to re apply the steroid cream. what can i do he's going crazy in a cone collar for what seems most of his life.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. It sounds like he needs a bit more of a work up. I would do a few things to get to the bottom of this. First, I would do a skin scraping to rule out mites. Demodex and Sarcoptes can both cause this. I would also do an impression smear to look for bacteria and yeast. If that stuff is ruled out, then we're left with some type of allergy. If it's allergies, then you need allergy testing to find out what he is allergic to. From there, you make a serum to be injected over time to de-sensitize the immune system. This is called Immunotherapy. You typically have to see a veterinary dermatologist to get the allergy testing and serum made for your dog.Here is a nice link on how this is done:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2430 For now, you can use Benadryl at home to help with some of the itching. The dose is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. I would get a consult with a dermatologist, though, to get to the root of the cause. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Alan. How is everything going?