Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My diabetic/hypothyroid 7 year old chihuahua is on 6

Customer Question
Hi, My diabetic/hypothyroid 7 year old...
My diabetic/hypothyroid 7 year old chihuahua is on 6 units on insulin and 200 mcg. of levoxyl twice a day. This morning she would not eat and since we were in a hurry, due to the fact that we had to leave to take my husband for a cornea transplant, I opted out of giving her any insulin for fear of her having a reaction and no one being her to help her. At that time, other than not wanting food, she seemed just fine. When we got home I noticed her 10 cup water bowl was about 3/4ths empty. Again she was still acting normal. About 6:00 pm I had to take my husband back to his eye surgeon. We returned home around 9:30 and her water bowl was again equally empty, however this time it was obvious she had been vomiting water in several places. We tried unsuccessfully to feed her, but gave her only 2 units of insulin to see if it would help. She is still desperate for water and is still throwing it up in large quantities. We picked up her water bowl and, as I am typing this, she has stopped throwing up. I, however, am still scared. I don't know what is the right thing to do. Our vet is closed so our only option is taking her to the emergency vet hospital at UC Davis. Unfortunately it is $225.00 just to walk in the door. My husband and I are both unemployed so this is not an option. I really need to know what to do to get her through the night. She wants water, but I'm afraid to give it to her. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I just wanted to add that while waiting for a response my dog has eaten her regular meal. I am wondering if I should give her the remaining 4 units of insulin after the 30 minute traditional waiting period? I am still concerned about what caused all the water consumption and vomiting in the first place. It would be helpful to know in case it happens again and as severe as it has been this time, I would like to know what is likely going on with her diabetes. Could this be a life threatening situation?
7/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey.Let me first apologize that no expert has jumped into answer your question. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This issue is that there is not good news for you as far as avoiding an emergency visit. :( This is one of those situations in a diabetic who is vomiting and lethargic that is an emergency. I worry about infection or diabetic ketoacidosis, both of which can become rapidly life-threatening in a diabetic. At this point, however, your veterinarian will hopefully be open soon and you can get her in to be examined. If she has eaten, then YES give her insulin. For increased water consumption this could be due to a problem as simple as a urinary tract infection, which can throw a diabetic out of regulation and cause increased water consumption. Or she has for some other reason become unregulated, which is leading to the lethargy and reduced appetite and vomit. Perhaps, she ate something.Ultimately, she needs an exam today as soon as you can arrange this (sounds like there is a lot going on with your personal life right now too) for an exam with her veterinarian and then some blood testing and urine check to determine if there is any thing significant going on, perhaps even something easily treatable.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified