Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a yorky that is 10 years old. She sweats is anything…

Customer Question
I have a yorky that...
I have a yorky that is 10 years old. She sweats is anything wrong with her??
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Yorkie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Where on her body is she sweating? Does she do it all the time or only at certain times? Is she eating and drinking normally?
Dogs do not have sweat glands like people, except on their feet. They can't produce sweat all over their body like we do.
You can feel the sweat all over her. I have feed and water out all the time for her. She is eating and drinking.
Thank you for the additional information.
If she was excessively hot, I would expect her to be panting.
This could be a skin infection, and/or an allergic reaction. Dogs have sweat glands on their feet, and they have apocrine glands over their bodies that produce fluid to keep the coat clean and moist and lustrous. Some dogs with allergies or skin conditions will overproduce these fluids. It is sort of like sweat, but is not produced to cool the dog down; they do that by panting. If there is excessive production from these glands, I would be checking for some kind of skin condition.
Is she at all itchy?
Does bathing her seem to help at all?