Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is there a liquid form of cephalexin

Customer Question
for dogs...
Is there a liquid form of cephalexin for dogs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I understand how difficult it can be to administer multiple medications to a dog this small and usually a little on the feisty side!
Many antibiotics which are given to humans are the same ones which we can use in dogs and Cephalexin is one of those drugs. There is a human labeled liquid form of Cephalexin although not a veterinary-labeled one. Some, but by no means all, vets will carry this product in their hospital but if they don't, a prescription can be written so that you can purchase it at a local human pharmacy.
Temaril-P is a veterinary-label only drug and is not available in liquid form, unfortunately. Generally, the pills are so small, that it's not a problem administering it, especially if you crush the pills, mix with a bit of water or low sodium chicken broth and use a syringe to squirt it into the side of the mouth.
Ketaconazole is also a human-labeled drug which we use in veterinary medicine and is only available in pill form. There is no specific veterinary-labeled product.
However, it can be compounded by a special pharmacy into a flavored liquid or chewable treat.
There's an additional charge for this service, of course, but often well worth it in my experience. If you don't have such a pharmacy nearby, those who do compound will mail you the drug as long as your vet has provided a prescription.
I hope this helps. Deb
Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shatzie. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian