How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28457
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just took my dog to the vet and they performed x rays of

Customer Question

We just took my dog to the vet and they performed x rays of his throat. It shows a mass by his vocal cords which is causing his to breath heavy and not bark. Any help would be much appreciated
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If an X-ray revealed a mass by his vocal cords, that mass should be readily visualized through his mouth using a scope. It can then be biopsied and the determination whether or not it can be addressed surgically made. It's unlikely that conservative medical therapy would be curative but an antiinflammatory drug might be palliative. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please look at the files attached.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
X Ray
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have sent a photo of the X Ray and doctors notes if you can give me anymore input so I can make a decision on what to do that will be helpful.Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! Quite definitive X-rays and tentative diagnosis of chondrosarcoma is most consistent with where that mass is found. A surgical biopsy - removal of the mass followed by biopsy was recommended as I alluded to. Should chondrosarcoma (CSA) be confirmed, here's what you need to know:
Non-nasal CSA:
15%-30% develop metastatic disease (lungs most common)
With aggressive surgery, median survival is > 3 years, and many dogs will enjoy long-term local control. However, depending on tumor location and completeness of excision, up to 40% will develop local recurrence.
With palliative care alone, survival times of > 1 year are still possible.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the surgery safe? What are the chances of his passing away during?Recovery time? Will he be able to eat?Debulking or full removal of Tumour?Will he be able to bark after surgery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The surgery will cost me $4000 and it is a lot of money sorry for all the questions I am just trying to figure out what to do.What are the chances it is not cancerous?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also after surgery will he need chemo or any medication?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Surgery performed by a specialist veterinary surgeon such as Dr. Norris will be monitored carefully with a pulse oximeter (constantly assessing blood oxygen and carbon dioxide saturation), blood pressure assessment, and EKG. It's a tricky area to operate in because it involves Toby's airway but Dr. Norris has the experience to do so. An antiinflammatory and analgesic drug will be prescribed to keep post-operative inflammation at bay. While unlikely to be needed, a tracheotomy can be performed to ensure that Toby can oxygenate himself properly. With this proper care, it's unlikely that Toby would be lost during the procedure.
Recovery time of 7-10 days is expected during which he should be able to eat normally. As much of the tumor would be removed as possible. He would be expected to be hoarse following surgery but if his vocal cords aren't involved in the neoplastic process, he'll still be able to bark. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
answer to additional posts: a benign tumor is unlikely in that area; radiation therapy rather than chemo is recommended if a CSA is confirmed