Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Fox terrier 20 lbs - ate 4 choc covered expresso beans

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Very likely this is not enough to cause issues but with the combination of chocolate and caffeine it would be best to induce vomiting to reduce the potential this is going to cause gi issues but also hyper excitability, muscle tremors, and erratic heart beats.If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today. I am on-line another 15 minutes to assist you both If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
was more than an hour ago
still induce vomiting or too late - what will be the signs that she needs to go to the vet
OK how long ago and is she showing any of the signs I listed?
A little over an hour and showing no signs and ate a big dinner
what would be the first signs I might see and when does it warrant a trip to the vet
OK if it is a little over an hour I would still advise inducing vomiting as a precautionIf no vomiting please monitor for the signs I listed above including hyperactivity, muscle tremors, increased panting, water intake
If these signs are seen then please consider a veterinary er visit. Often they will be within the first 4 hours of ingestion
if no signs within 4 hours she will pass them ok ?
is it ok for her to go to sleep or not
I would still monitor for signs of gi upset for the first 24 hours but if you pass the first 4-6 hours without the more serious signs then the hope is you should be alright
Yes, it is fine for her to sleep. The concern is more hyper excitability and lethargy is not a concern in most cases of this ingestion
ok - thanks - very scaryshe seems ok so far -so will watch her closely for 24 hours
how long should it take to see signs if there are any
Perfect, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance before I sign off for the evening. If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
4-6 hours typically but a maximum of 24 hours for the gi signs
ok thanks
You are very welcome, good luck to you both truly
Good evening, how is Coco after we spoke yesterday?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian