Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I got a 4year old belgian malinois and he as been limping for

Customer Question

i got a 4year old belgian malinois and he as been limping for a mounth my vet thinks its a tumor from what she sees on the xray she gave me apo meloxicam but it dont help she say she will have to cut his front left leg where should i look for an answer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Tex and his leg. I am happy to help you this evening. 4 years old is pretty young for a tumor in the leg but not impossible. But I would definitely not amputate a limb based on x rays alone, at least without seeking the opinion of some specialist . You should request that the x rays be reviewed by a board certified veterinary radiologist. They are specialist in reading these x rays and can help determine if this truly does appear to be cancer or if it could be something else in the bone like inflammation or infection. If they think it is cancer or even if they think it is something else then you will want to request a referral to the nearest specialist hospital to discuss treatment. You will want to see an oncologist if the radiologist thinks it is cancer or a orthopedic surgeon if it looks like it may be something else such as inflammation or infection. But you absolutely want a second opinion from a specialist on the x rays and a second opinion on treatment from a specialist before amputation. Your vet should be able to refer you to all of these without question. This is the best way to find out exactly what is going on and get him the best treatment. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Renaud Leblanc,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tex. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead