Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 yr old Rottweiler, boxer mix has had diarrhea off and

Customer Question
on for 2/3 weeks. A...
My 6 yr old Rottweiler, boxer mix has had diarrhea off and on for 2/3 weeks. A day of yams and ground turkey and better. But now rapid, shallow breathing when laying, sleeping. Should I worry? Gave her a few kibble of new food tonight.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Evie and her breathing. I am happy to help you this evening. Rapid and shallow breathing while relaxed or sleeping is always a sign that something is wrong and you should definitely have her seen to see what is going on. Breathing should be slow and controlled when they are relaxed and sleeping so rapid and shallow is usually and indication of something wrong. I would recommend having her seen by your vet. If you can have her seen tonight would be best to have x rays done of her chest to make sure there is no pneumonia or any other changes. It may or may not be related to the diarrhea though from the past couple of weeks. But definitely something that should not be ignored and should be addressed. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian