Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My chow chow dog has vomited three times & has very loose bowels

Customer Question

My chow chow dog has vomited three times & has very loose bowels three times..He does not get out to eat anything & has been on Walmart grain free chicken dog food for about a year..Can I give him cimetitdine?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does he weigh? 2- How many milligrams is the cimetidine? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No other symptoms..
Cimitidine 200mgs
About 70 #'s
No other conditions.....This has never happened to him before....could it be from eating grass?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes so that I can type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, normally when a dog is eating grass is a sign of not feeling well in the gastrointestinal tract. Common causes that would cause vomiting and diarrhea are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:1- You can start him on Cimetidine 200mg every 8 hours. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter