Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My yellow labs front leg is swollen from back shoulder to ankle, no visible oozing. blood,

Customer Question

My yellow labs front leg is swollen from back shoulder to ankle, no visible oozing. blood, or wound. Was fine in the morning and observed that evening. He is not eating, having a hard time drinking, walking, getting up. seams swollen straight out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 2 years ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and Yogi. I'm sorry that it has taken a while to get you an answer - I have only just come online. In all honesty, what you are describing is concerning to me. It is difficult obviously as I haven't examined Yogi myself but what you are describing sounds very much like cellulitis. This is an infection or inflammation of the tissue that connects the skin to muscle, and it can be very serious indeed. Patients can end up extremely sick with this, and sometimes it even leads to amputation of the affected leg. It doesn't always need to have a wound, but there is often a very small one that you can't see because of the swelling. I am worried because of the degree of swelling you say he has, and that he is not eating and having trouble drinking. In all honesty I would recommend getting him to your vets as soon as possible - to an emergency vets if yours aren't open. I had a particularly nasty case with a patient a couple of months ago and he needed intravenous fluids (to go on a drip), three different antibiotics and anti-inflammatories to successfully treat him. He didn't lose his leg, but it was a close one. I'm not saying that Yogi is that sick, but he may become so if you don't get him checked out - the sooner you start treatment for this, the better. I hope I've helped - and sorry that I think you need to get to a vets, but in this case I really think you do. If you have any questions from this, or need clarification, then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, then please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.