Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Does my gerbil need his toenails trimmed

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Generally speaking, you should not have to clip Diego's nails. He should be wearing them down as he moves around his enclosure. Of course, if he is older and not as mobile as he used to be, we could see these overgrow. If his nails do look overly long, then we'd want to make sure he has access to material to wear them on (ie coconut, sticks, stones, etc) or you can clip his nails. If you need to clip his nails, do take care not to cut into the pink nail bed ("quick") within the nail. If you are uncomfortable doing so, you can ask your local vet to show you how (and if he is slowing down generally a check up would be ideal at the same time). And finally, if you are clipping gerbil nails do plan some corn starch or styptic powder from the pet store to clot any bleeds if you do cut the nail bed by mistake.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian