Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog got into sesame seeds and vomited several times along

Customer Question

My dog got into sesame seeds and vomited several times along with a great amount of dog hair. Should I be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Oh Jinx!
Now this type of dietary indiscretion tends to be self-limiting. Therefore, as long as she has no belly discomfort (from her stomach being distended with these or her pancreas reacting to their fat content), we would just want to start some supportive care at this stage.
First, if she has just vomited, then we'd want to rest her stomach for a few hours. She can have access to water in small sips or as ice cubes (since excessive drinking can cause more vomiting). Once she is more settled, you can start her on an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
We tend to want to use these 20 minutes before offering food to allow it to take effect. And of course, if she is has any pre-existing issues or is on any other medications that you haven't noted, you'd want to check with her vet before using these.
Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider tempting her with a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Also by feeding this in small frequent meals, it will reduce the stress on the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Overall, when dogs eat sesame seeds, we tend to just see a bit of stomach upset. So, we can use the above for Jinx at this stage. Of course, if she isn't settled within the next 24 hours, cannot keep even water down, or has any belly tenderness; then we'd want a check with her vet for injectable anti-nausea treatment.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bretney,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jinx. How is everything going?

nekovet