Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My lab is 13 last 5 months he has been going to vet

Customer Question
My lab is 13 for...
My lab is 13 for the last 5 months he has been going to vet blood testgo up and down on white cells and platletts he has been on predisone and several types of antibiotics he acts normal except for compulsive eating from predisone what do you think
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. Can you tell me what symptoms he was showing that initially prompted the blood tests and treatment? Would you be able to post a copy of the blood test results for me to review? Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
routine check up been going now for over 4 months every 2 weeks given antibiotics and predisone platletts would go up and white cells decreased as soon as he went off antibiotics everything reversed still on predisone last test plateletts were at 44000 white cells went down he acts normal except for thirst and aggressive with food he has had a ultra sound which appeared normal now they are recommending a internist at 13 yrs I dont want to put him through to much more
It is hard to comment in too much detail without being able to review the entire chart and blood work results, but I can tell you that an elevated WBC count doesn't always indicate an infection and very often antibiotics are not indicated or needed. It is important to look at the whole picture and look at the differential of the WBC (there are 5 types that make up the whole). The varying numbers of the different types as well as how the cells look under microscopic examination can help to pinpoint if it is due to bacterial infection or if it may be due to an inflammatory process somewhere in the body. Inflammation does not equal infection if if there is no infection, antibiotics will do nothing. Prednisone can definitely have an effect on the WBC numbers and again, the differential will help with interpreting that. Just because the WBC went down after the steroids, does not mean it treated any disease process, but may have just changed the way the WBC looked. It may be worthwhile to consult with an internist if only to have a specialist review all of his history and records. I understand about not wanting to pursue additional diagnostics at this time, especially if he is not showing any other symptoms other than the side effects of the Pred. It may be worth at least a consult for the peace of mind. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian