Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Dog licks feet, and pads are pink to red.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Got to stop that licking ASAP.Bandaging is too difficult and doesn't allow feet to dry.I strongly recommend going to one of the larger pet stores and buying the velcro rubber booties. Great for paw protection, and more importantly, self-trauma. Second, got to get in to the vet. It sounds like there is already a pododermatitis present (foot infection). So, I would suspect some combination of either topical medication, oral antibiotics, and/or some oral anti-inflammatory may be needed.Lastly, underlying allergies definitely can cause feet licking. So, if there was no previous trauma to the paws, and Ollie simply is licking the feet a lot, make sure to bring up with your vet about the allergy concern. On a side note, if Ollie ever gets ear infections, that would also be related to primary allergy concerns. Make sure to keep those feet dry.Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ryborn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?