Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has two feet with scraped pads...not cut, more like an abrasion

Customer Question

My dog has two feet with scraped pads...not cut, more like an abrasion. She is not favoring either foot. Not walking with a limp. We noticed it because she was licking her feet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Sorry to hear about this concern for Nilla.Must protect those feet ASAP and for several more days to a week or two depending on what your vet says after an evaluation.If they are not moist or appear inflamed yet, this is a narrow window to try and protect them before the paws get infected (pododermatitis). But, you need that vet visit to ensure there is not already an issue that would warrant starting any specific topical therapy and/or oral antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications.I personally strongly recommend the velcro rubber booties that you can buy at some of the larger petstores. Exactly for paw protection, as well as, to prevent self-trauma from the licking while pads can heal.Bandaging is not ideal as it causes the inside to get moist and predispose to further problems.In my experience, trying to give something like an antihistamine to sedate or reduce licking doesn't work. Got to protect those paws!But, if she is licking, there is enough discomfort there that it should be examined by your vet. Hope that info helpsGood Luck!Dr. Andy