How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 21417
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My10 year old cocker has a brownish discharge coming from 2

Customer Question

My10 year old cocker has a brownish discharge coming from 2 small holes under his left eye. I have taken him to the vet 3 times in the past 2 weeks and the vet was treating for an infection with 68 mg of Baytril until he discovered the 2 holes after shaving under his eye yesterday.He wants me to now spend $500.00 for an exploratory operation, but I think doing a culture first is best. Your advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now the tricky part for Roscoe's situation is that we don't know if there is a foreign body (ie grass awn, foxtail, seed, etc) still within the tissues acting as a focus for infection. It is possible something is caught and that is why the infection didn't settle with his recent treatment. That said, if these look like a bite wound, if its actually a dental abscess that is draining here, or if we have a situation where the original foreign body was pushed out by the discharge, then surgery may not turn up much.
Therefore, with all this in mind, it is not unreasonable to choose to culture first. In fact, it will be of benefit whether we were to decide to start with medical management or opted for surgery. This is because culture will tell us what bacteria is present and what antibiotics it is vulnerable to. And that is worthwhile knowledge in either treatment angle (since the infection will still need to be treated even if they do operate). Especially if we were to find that this was a bacteria resistant to Baytril (since that would also be a reason it has not settled).
So, in my opinion, I do think culture is worthwhile. Especially since we will then know what is present, what is effective to clear it, and could use that for a few weeks to see if we could settle his signs. Of course, if we didn't and again had to worry about something stuck in his tissues, then we could also fall back on surgery if we had to. But your suggestion here is very reasonable and a fine course of action before anything more invasive is done.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )