Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My daughter's 3 year old male French Bulldog has copious amounts

Customer Question
of mucous interfering with his...
My daughter's 3 year old male French Bulldog has copious amounts of mucous interfering with his breathing....keeping them both up all night. He is listless rather than his normal playfulness. He sneezes many times at once where he blows out so much mucous with some parts of it are in chunks. He is also regurgitating his food. He also has a yeast infection on his belly, face and paws.
She's most worried about the mucous and his breathing. What can she do to help him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long has Louie been like this?
What color is the mucus?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Louie has been like this on and off for months, but the last few days he is getting progressively worse. More sneezing, thick mucous and general malaise. The mucous is cre***** ***** and smells, as does his breath. His gums are pink.
He is not here with me, but with my daughter in another state. Due to the hour here, 1:00 AM, I can't call her to ask his breath rate.
Hi again,
That is fine if you cannot check that breathing rate from another state. ;)
But since you mentioned an odor, can you tell me if he has ever been treated for this by his vet?
He has been seen, but not treated. The vet. Thought he was just a short faced dog and that was basically normal.
Thank you again,
While short faced dogs are allowed to be snort or breathe more noisily, the mucus is not normal. Furthermore based on your description of his signs and the mucus, this actually sounds like a bacterial infection. So, I would not assume this was breed acceptable.
Therefore, since we have white odorous discharge, I do have to note that again this sounds bacterial and antibiotics would be indicated. Furthermore, with how much he sounds to be struggling, if this was my patient, I would also want him on a dog safe anti-inflammatory, decongestant (be aware human ones are not safe for dogs), +/- bronchodilators if he is having any trouble breathing. And if anything sinister or resistant was suspected, your daughter could also have this discharge swabbed for culture and sensitivity testing to identify what agent present and which antibiotics it is vulnerable to.
Otherwise, I do want outline some supportive care that she can start with Louie. To start, since we have sneezing and loads of upper airway mucus, they can take him in the bathroom while running a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear any material that may be accumulating in the nasal passages. Alternatively, they can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often dogs don’t like things held up to their faces. Therefore, we can often make little ‘steam rooms’ with him in a small room or big dog carrier with the humidifier near by (they can even put a sheet over his dog crate and humidifier to better focus the steam).
Further to this, if they did think his lungs were also congested, then after steam treating they can try to loosen discharges/congestion in the lung. To do this, we coupage the lungs. This is where we pat the chest firmly to loosen the discharge. You can see a video of how to do so @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjPMjlhluQ4
Another option for trying to clear the nasal passages and reduce sneezing would be to use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist but not anything medicated). To do so, tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a dog favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. You can follow this with the drops you were given.
Overall, what you have described is not normal for his breed or any short nosed dog. This instead is highly suspicious of a chronic bacterial upper airway infection (or rhinitis). And with how long it has been going on, we cannot assume the lungs are not also involved. Therefore, I would advise the above supportive care for him but also consider having her see her vet for those other treatments I noted to reduce clear this and get him breathing better.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian