Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 8 year old female had puppies approximately five months

Customer Question

My 8 year old female had puppies approximately five months ago. In the last four days the last four puppies of eight got sick with something that took each of them within hours of showing symptoms. It seemed like parvo, but not quite the same and much quicker than what I have seen from parvo. My question is this....can I give my 8 year old female a small dose or dosages of Penprocilina to help keep her from getting this illness. So far she has not shown any signs of what the pups had, but I am worried that as fast as it works that I need to do something to protect her. Is this a good idea or is it potentially harmful to her. What should I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your puppies. Had they been vaccinated for parvo? What symptoms did they have?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Penprocilina is an antibiotic, which helps with some bacterial infections. It will have no effect against viral disease like Parvo. If this was Parvo, she is probably immune; I have not seen an adult dog get parvo in the last 20 years. Most adults have immunity; unvaccinated puppies are the ones at risk.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
The Penprocilina is not likely to be harmful to her, except that antibiotics can wipe out the beneficial bacteria living in the intestines, and that could ( at least in theory) make her less protected against an intestinal virus, like Parvo.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skip. How is everything going?